Distressing events can be traumatic for anyone, children and adults alike. For one, a divorce can be a traumatic experience for soon-to-be-ex couples. From hiring divorce lawyers to dealing with all of the drama, going through a divorce can be anything but easy.
There will be a lot of things to be considered. You may have to hire child support lawyers or spousal support lawyers to help settle child custody and alimony, respectively. Divorce can be one of the hardest decisions one can ever make. But for some, it can be for the best and for everyone’s peace of mind.
What makes a dysfunctional family?
There are some people who grew up in dysfunctional families. It is not the ideal family set up, traumatic even. On the one hand, there is no perfect family. All of us have to deal with family issues every now and then.
However, it is another story for someone who has a dysfunctional family. More so, it can be a traumatic experience for children and teens. Such instances can affect their well-being. Some causes of a dysfunctional family include the following.
This refers to a child who experiences verbal, psychological, emotional and even sexual abuse from his own parent(s).
Meanwhile, this refers to living with a parent or both parents who are too strict and control pretty much everything in their child’s life.
On the contrary, there are also parents who are not able to discipline their children. It is a nice thing to have “cool” parents. However, it can lead to adverse consequences.
These are parents who are too busy in their careers, they forget being a parent to their own children. These can also be parents who don’t seem to care about their children and act as if they are not parents themselves.
These are parents who are dependent on drugs and other illegal substances. This can result in erratic behavior and abuse to children.
Children who grew up in these kinds of family set up can lead to devastating consequences. More so, it can also lead to divorce. In such a case, it is better to hire the best divorce lawyers to help with the divorce process. Hiring top rated divorce lawyers is a good option, although there are also ways to DIY a divorce.
The impact of a dysfunctional family in a child
Nevertheless, growing up in a dysfunctional family can be traumatic for a child. Such effects can show up and affect their adulthood. The following effects can show up in children, teens, and to young adults.
- Low self-esteem
- Constantly seeks approval for every action
- Tends to cling on a “dysfunctional” person (ex. emotionally-detached people, those who also grew up in a dysfunctional family)
- Difficulty in expressing their feelings in fear of being unheard/unnoticed
- Trust issues and insecurity
- Difficulty in following tasks and has the tendency to be impulsive
Also, children who grew up in a dysfunctional family may end up being one of the following:
- Rebel/problem child (tends to do rebellious things in an attempt to attract attention)
- “Peacekeeper” (tends to react when there are tension in a situation)
- Scapegoat (tends to be blamed due to an unfortunate event that happens in the family)
- The “mastermind” (one who finds a way to blame a family member to get what he or she wants)
- The “ignored” (the child who is usually ignored unlike the other family members)
- The “mascot” (acts like the family’s comedic relief in an attempt to hide the sad feeling of being in a dysfunctional family)
How you can help a child cope with a traumatic family life
There is no doubt how traumatic it can be for a child living with a dysfunctional family. It can be due to several reasons like divorce. For example, seeing family lawyers at home can be traumatic in young children. Here are some ways to lessen the impact of being in such kind of situation in children.
- Be patient. Recovery can take some time, especially in children.
- Spend more time with your children. Bond through fun activities and other stuff that will help them forget their traumatic past.
- Encourage your child to be open. At the same time, make your child feel that you are always ready to listen to them.
- Seek professional help when necessary.
Find professional help near you
For your family-related issues, it is best to solve it as soon as possible. Seek professional help when needed. For legal concerns surrounding your divorce, make sure to hire the best divorce lawyers in Fairfax VA.