Alimony/Spousal Support or Maintenance
In determining the support/alimony, the courts in Virginia are required consider the following factors as specified in Virginia Code § 20-107.1:
- The obligations, needs and financial resources of the parties, including but not limited to income from all pension, profit sharing or retirement plans, of whatever nature;
- The standard of living established during the marriage;
- The duration of the marriage;
- The age and physical and mental condition of the parties and any special circumstances of the family;
- The extent to which the age, physical or mental condition or special circumstances of any child of the parties would make it appropriate that a party not seek employment outside of the home;
- The contributions, monetary and nonmonetary, of each party to the well-being of the family;
- The property interests of the parties, both real and personal, tangible and intangible;
- The provisions made with regard to the marital property under § 20-107.3;
- The earning capacity, including the skills, education and training of the parties and the present employment opportunities for persons possessing such earning capacity;
- The opportunity for, ability of, and the time and costs involved for a party to acquire the appropriate education, training and employment to obtain the skills needed to enhance his or her earning ability;
- The decisions regarding employment, career, economics, education and parenting arrangements made by the parties during the marriage and their effect on present and future earning potential, including the length of time one or both of the parties have been absent from the job market;
- The extent to which either party has contributed to the attainment of education, training, career position or profession of the other party; and
- Such other factors, including the tax consequences to each party and the circumstances and factors that contributed to the dissolution, specifically including any ground for divorce, as are necessary to consider the equities between the parties.
Call us to discuss how these factors affect you under your unique circumstances.
For your free initial consultation
We are here for all your Family Law needs. We serve throughout the Northern Virginia area.Contact Us
Disclaimer: Mehnaz Khan, Esq. is a debt relief agency. We help clients file bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Although most of the information contained in this website is legal in nature, nothing herein shall be construed as a legal advice or establishment of an attorney client relationship.
We accept all major credit cards